Windows Movie Maker Download
Movie maker is a free download from Microsoft and the version you download depends on your operating system; therefore you should check whether you are a Windows Vista, XP or Windows 7 user before you download anything. However, saying this, the download page may automatically detect what operating system you have and then recommend accordingly.
- Operating system: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (32-bit or 64-bit editions) or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit editions)
- To burn a movie directly to a DVD using Movie Maker, Windows DVD Maker must be installed on your computer.
- In Windows Vista, Windows DVD Maker is included in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate editions.
- In Windows 7, Windows DVD Maker is included in Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate editions.
- To record video from a webcam, Movie Maker must be running on Windows 7.
- The types of video and audio files you can use in Movie Maker depend on which version and edition of Windows that your computer is running. For more information, see What kind of files can I use in Movie Maker?
- Memory: 1 GB of RAM (2 GB of RAM or higher is recommended when editing high-definition (HD) video)
- Processor: 2.4 GHz (single processor) or higher (a dual-core processor or higher is recommended when editing HD video)
- Internet browser: Internet Explorer 7 (or later), Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1 (or later), or Safari 3.1 (or later)
- Internet connection: Internet functionality requires dial-up or broadband Internet access (provided separately). Local or long-distance charges may apply.
- Graphics or video card: Video card or display adapter that supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (or later) and Pixel Shader 2.0 (or later).
- To determine the DirectX version that your video card supports, use the Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool. To open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click the Start button , type dxdiag in the search box, and then, in the list of results, click dxdiag.exe. Click the Display tab, and then look at the value for DDI Version.
- Additional required programs: Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Media Player
You’ll also need some video capture software installed on your computer if you want to use the videos on your camera or phone in your movies. It is not hard to download, just follow the on screen instructions. If you are a Windows 7 user, Windows Movie Maker will be installed with the whole Windows Live Essentials package, so you may want to pick and choose the elements that you really want otherwise the unnecessary programmes can slow the speed of your computer.
What you can do with Windows Movie Maker?
The Windows Movie Maker download is free; this is a free software program. It allows you to turn your photos, and videos into professional quality movies. You can add special effects, sound and transitions when switching between different photos and videos. You can also add captions to tell the story. If you want to make really professional videos you’ll need a good quality video capture device.
How does Movie Maker work?
After your Windows Movie Maker download, install the programme and you'll be up and running. Before you start making your movie, you need to import and upload all items that you want to use in your video, ready for editing. You have two essential views in Windows Movie Maker; a storyboard view and a timeline view. Working in storyboard, you see your film as a series of clips in a film strip. Basically, you drag and drop pictures into the storyboard, edit, clip bits off your video if it is too long, and add special effects at different points. You have to upload all the elements you want to work on first, then pick and choose what you want to add, and where you add it. Think of it as a long, chain, jigsaw, but you decide where the pieces fit. You can cut music, sound and videos to fit at each point on the line, and it will run seamlessly from one part to the next. If you have Windows 7 or the Premium versions of Vista, an added feature to Movie maker is the ability to burn DVD's with Windows DVD Maker.
Copyright and making movies
You can publish your movies made in Windows Movie Maker, however please be aware of copyright law. You can only use music that is royalty free, and images that are copyright free. Your own personal videos and photos are fine, just make sure they are not pornographic or violent! Making movies is easy and fun with Windows Movie maker, and a great way to show your photos and videos. Download Windows Movie Maker today and start having fun!
Windows movie maker requirements